Habitat Management Guidelines
Follow these tips for the various green areas to help maintain the biodiversity of our local environment.
- Mow the grassland along road verges less tightly in order to encourage wildflowers to flower and set seed.
- Do not spray herbicides unless controlling invasive species such as Japanese Knotweed.
- Plant a variety of trees, shrubs and flowers in your garden, especially native species e.g. Rowan and Guelder Rose
- Use only native wildflower plants and seeds that have been grown in Ireland. For native seeds try http://www.wildflowers.ie/
- Aim for a mixture of plants that flower and set seed or fruit at different times of the year, providing a continuous source of food for wildlife